Friday, January 04, 2008

Best of 2007

Note: Originally I had ten movies in numerical order. Then, after realizing I had left Waitress off the list, I decided to make it number eleven and, in not wanting to go back and re-think the order, just alphabetize them.

Theatrical Releases

Billy the Kid (Venditti)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Schnabel)
Flanders (Dumont)
I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (Tsai)
Offside (Panahi)
Romance of Astrea and Celadon (Rohmer)
Shotgun Stories (Nicholas)
Summer '04 (Krohmer)
Syndromes and a Century (Weerasethakul)
There Will Be Blood (Anderson)
Waitress (Shelly)


Repertory Picks
1. Killer of Sheep (Burnett, 1977, IFC)
2. The Tender Enemy (Ophüls, 1936, BAM)
3. Let’s Get Lost (Weber, 1988, Film Forum)
4. Reveille With Beverly (Barton, 1943, Film Forum)
5. Bad Santa (Director’s Cut) (Zwigoff, 2003, IFC)

1 comment:

Sachin said...

Nice diverse list :) Although I have only seen two from that. I did like Summer 04 a lot. And I have been wanting to see Syndromes.. and I don't want to Sleep Alone for a long time now. Last year, I managed to see all the Tsai and Lee Keng-sheng collaborations, so his Malaysian adventure is high on my list. I hope I do not have to wait too long.

There Will be Blood will finally open in my city next week.